The NDA government recently conferred the Bharat Ratna award on Panditji. Based on various media reports here is brief compilation on why we should remember Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviyaji.
1. Credited with popularizing the slogan Satyameva Jayate.
2. Founded Banaras Hindu University (or Kashi Hindu Vishvidyalaya) in 1916. BHU marked fulfillment of Malaviya’s desire to create an institution that blends ancient Indian traditions with modern education. You have to visit BHU to realize what a visionary Panditji was. FYI the Nizam of Hyderabad too contributed to the making of BHU.
3. He championed the cause of Untouchables entering temples.
4. Fought for use Devagari script in court papers though the language used to Urdu. Till then notifications were in English.
5. Chairman of Hindustan Times from 1921 to 1946.
6. He was four times the President of the Indian National Congress– 1909, 1918, 1930 and, 1932.
7. Was President of the Hindu Mahasabha.
Malaviya was popularly known as Mahamana, a title that most probably Rabindranath Tagore and Mahatma Gandhi came up with.
1. See pictures of Panditji
2. Malaviya’s vision on Science and Technology
3. Malaviya Heritage Complex in BHU
4. Malaviya saw BHU as civilisational and nationalist mission
5. Bharat Ratna will prolong legacy of Madan Mohan Malaviya
6. Pandit Madan Mohan Malaviya at a glance
7. History of Urdu
Image of Pandit M M Malviyaji outside entrance to Banaras Hindu University